Tuesday 27 October 2009

Alternative Function

This image appealed to me for simple reuse of an object designed with a alternative function in mind. This image pictures the display system used by Nike Brand Design in one of their sportswear shops (found on Dezeen again). There was a photo that focused more on the specific part of the display that I am discussing here but it seemed to have been taken in the stock room or a particularly dingy area of the shop so I thought this image would have to do instead:


One of the main ideas in the design of the store was to allude to sport and so in the window display you will notice that gymnastic hoops have been used to suspend clothing. I like it because it replaces eerie mannequins and offers instead a hoop translatable as a stylised head.

Though what mainly appeals to me is the use of one object, which has been designed for a specific purpose, in an inventive and unintended way.

No comments:

Post a Comment