Tuesday 20 October 2009

Passing Strange


This has to have been the most impressive set design that I've ever seen in person. Saw this show called Passing Strange whilst on the art school study (cough) trip in third year to New York. I doubt the show itself would have impressed me much at all (though I think I remember the music being good as instruments were played live on stage by the cast). Have to say I wasn't taken with New York on the whole but this lighting display was one of the high points. I liked it for it's intrinsic simplicity but powerful impact. The most amazing part of the show was when this array of fluorescent lights were revealed from behind a translucent curtain, giving the whole display an extra kick, though it is quite unbelievable that something as larger than life as this is could possibly be given extra oomph at all. 


Visit this website for more stage designs amongst other things and lots more photos of the design for Passing Strange :: David Korins Designs ::

No comments:

Post a Comment