Tuesday 6 October 2009

Words, Meanings and (slow!) Revelations



Photography | writing with light


Shamefully this revelation just blew my mind. There must be so many words that I have known since early childhood that I have just taken for granted. Well at least for now one more word is better understood and photography won't mean just simply "taking pictures" to me anymore. I came across this explanation of the word photography in an old photography book that I bought in an Oxfam Books shop. The roots of words reveal a lot about the subject itself. 'photo-' meaning 'light' and '-graphia' meaning 'writing' (in latin) reveals the key idea in photography.

Deliberation | taking away the freedom of things to do nonspecific tasks and making them do what you want them to


To me, this word has just always just meant "to do something with purpose or specific intention". The other day for some reason I heard the word differently in my mind and it now has this extra meaning of taking freedom away from things i.e. you are DE-liberating them. In terms of design this is a useful thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment